Sunday, July 27, 2014

Ghosts of Kitchens Past

Progress on the kitchen is not quite at a standstill right now, but it's moving verrrrrry slowly.  Today, the old laminate came up to reveal...


...old sheet vinyl.

Sticky, dusty, ripped, UGLY, sheet vinyl.

I don't think this room could possibly be any more hideous than it is right now.
(But my helpers are totally adorable.)


Thankfully, my unpaid laborers made short work of taking up the laminate.


Even the girl wanted to help.  Probably because she was trying to get out of cleaning her room.  But hey, free labor is free labor, right?


Much to my husband's initial chagrin (and later reluctant acceptance), I made the decision to remove the oak laminate in the hallway and extend the vinyl tile into that area.  With a new floor in the kitchen, the laminate floor in the hallway no longer connects to anything and doesn't make any sense.  Putting the tile in the hallway also eliminates the need for a transition strip, which I think will flow nicely.   Plus, I'm pretty sure I have at least two extra boxes of flooring, so why let it go to waste?

I haven't seen these awful vinyl tiles in so long I actually forgot they were under there!
BittyKitty doesn't care about kitchen remodels.  She just wants to know when someone is going to fill the food bowl.

Obligatory kitten picture.  Because KITTENS!!!


Tomorrow, the cabinets will be delivered.  I hope to get the walls washed and some paint applied at some point between now and then.  Things are really moving along.  I'm so excited!



No comments:

Post a Comment